How does it work?
- Inject - Using the included dropper, fill the Micro Safari Aqua with aquatic samples from a lake, ocean, stream, river, pond, puddle, or aquarium.
- Peel - Remove the backer paper
- Stick - Stick down the diffusion film and press firmly
- Observe - Remove protective film and observe your personal ecosystem as it grows and changes over months. Find new organisms and explore their interactions.
- Repeat - Peel back the diffusion film to feed or replace the sample. The film will eventually lose it's adhesion but can be used several times over.
What's included in the Starter Kit?
- 5x Micro Safari Aqua Slides
- 1x Micro Spoon
- 1x Dropper
- 1x Micro Safari Grow powder
What's included in the Classroom Kit?
- 30x Micro Safari Aqua Slides
- 5x Micro Spoons
- 5x Droppers
- 5x Micro Safari Grow powder
Micro Safari Aqua works with any microscope that has a working distance of greater than 1mm. Ideal for transmitted light compound microscopes or high magnification digital microscopes. Our MS-205T is a perfect fit, and can also be paired with an HDMI Digital Camera for capturing images or live streaming to a monitor or projection screen.
Note that the highest magnification objectives these microscopes have may not work with Micro Safari Aqua Slides because the bottom of the objective has to be 0.17mm away from the sample AKA the thickness of a microscope slide cover slip. You will need to use a typical microscope slide and cover slip to achieve these magnifications. However, We find that the highest microscope objectives on consumer grade microscopes are blurry and actually contain less visual information than the lower magnification objectives. Depth of field also make high magnification objectives practically difficult to observe samples with. We rarely use the highest magnification objectives. If you are new to microscopy you should purchase regular microscope slides as well so that you can get a hands-on understanding of the mechanics of using high magnification objectives.
- Material: Optical-Grade Acrylic and LDPE polymer film with controlled diffusion rates
- Dimensions: 26mm (Length) x 75mm (Width) x 4.5mm (Height)
- Minimum objective working distance: 1mm
- Grow Powder Ingredients: Plant-based growth medium for sustained ecosystem energy
- Two month nominal organism lifespan inside of slide (individual results may vary)
Why Micro Safari Aqua?
- Self-contained microscope slide can be filled in the field. No need to collect samples in a secondary container like a jar and then transfer to a microscope slide back at your microscope.
- Keep your ecosystem alive for extended periods for ongoing observation and grow your ecosystem